- I could die
- I'm alone
- This is my first major solo trip
- this is my first major (BWCA last winter notwithstanding) winter trip
- Snowshoeing is completely different than ordinary hiking
- I'm carrying more weight that last May
- Did I mention I'm going solo?
- Cell phone reception can be (read: is) spotty
Also - I'm going to go with vapor barrier clothing as made by Stephensons (warmlite.com). I e-mailed them inquiring about weights, and got a response that a medium VBL shirt was about 8 oz, and the pants a little less. This would weigh less than hand-sewn VBL clothes plus my wicking layer. (I'm 99 percent positive that Stephenson's VBL clothing is meant to be worn next-to-skin.) I'm going to get VBL socks from ID. I figure of any of the VBL clothing, that is the most important because I'm going to be wearing it day-in-day-out. They need to not kill my feet. As for the Steger muks, my father was very eager to drive to Ely with me to go try on a pair. More info as it develops.